The Edge, UNCG’s own artificial rock climbing wall, reaches up to 40 feet in height and has many features that replicate real rock, such as cracks, chimneys, arêtes, overhangs, and more. There are seven ropes and many climbing routes set for all skill levels that offer a variety of challenging and fun climbing options
Climbing is also a great addition to your exercise routine. Rock climbing is a rewarding exercise because it targets muscles in the arms, chest, back and even the legs. This makes for a total body exercise with only one type of workout. In addition to the physical benefits, rock climbing also provides a unique level of excitement and challenge to your workout
Whether you are in it for the workout, the mental challenge, or just to have fun, our staff are on-hand to assist you with having a safe and enjoyable climbing experience.
What you need to know to climb at The Edge:
- Climbing is FREE to UNCG students and SRC members, A UNCG ID is required at check-in.
- Students and SRC members may bring up to 2 guests per visit. Each guest must pay a $6 guest fee and obtain a guest pass at the SRC main desk on the 3rd floor prior to coming to the climbing wall.
- Only parents/legal guardians, spouses/lifemates, and children are permitted for free on Family Days (currently Friday & Saturdays at the Edge). All other family members must obtain a guest pass.
- All participants must complete a Policies Acknowledgment & Assumption of Risk, Release, and Indemnity Agreement (PDF waiver below) prior to climbing. Participants under the age of 18 must have a parent/legal guardian signature.
- The minimum age to climb is 8 and the child must properly fit into a climbing harness.
- Climbing harnesses and shoes are FREE to rent when you climb. A personal harness may be used after is has been inspected and approved by Edge staff.
PDF Edge Participant Waiver:
Policies Acknowledgment & Assumption of Risk, Release, and Indemnity Agreement
Belay Clinics & Certification:
Belaying is the process of managing the climbing rope, taking rope in or paying it out, depending on the direction in which the climber is moving, and locking it off securely in the event of a fall. As a belayer, you have in your hands the safety of a climber high above who is counting on you to perform well.
Belay Clinics are designed to allow our climbers to learn the skills to belay independently at The Edge. Our belay clinic instructors will teach you all the skills to properly belay, which includes: climbing knots, climbing gear, belay technique, spotting techniques, climbing commands, and much more! Belay certification is required to belay on your own in The Edge.
How to become belay certified at The Edge:
- Register for a Belay Clinic in the Rental Center during regular business hours. The clinic fee is $5. No refunds are provided unless Outdoor Adventures cancels the clinic. See Google Calendar for current dates and times.
- Attend the Belay Clinic and learn the skills to safely belay.
- Successfully pass Belay Test no sooner than one day after completing the clinic.
- Receive Belay Certification Card to be worn on your harness when belaying.
- Certified belayers must re-test each academic year after their initial certification.
- If you have previous experience from another climbing facility you can forgo the clinic and simply take the belay test. Any belayer who decides to not take the clinic will only be given one opportunity to pass the test. If the belayer fails the test, they will be required to take the clinic. If you have not belayed in a while, it is recommended to take the clinic regardless of your previous experience.